Friday, May 3, 2013

Ryn the Librarian and the Case of the Chronic Non-Finisher


Hello everyone. I know it has been awhile since I wrote about a book I read, but I have my crazy reasons. I had a book club book to read and host as well as other chores that needed care.  By this date, I wanted to have finished Hawaii in the Reading Across America in YA Challenge, but it is just not going to happen. I guess I should just come out and say that I am a (saw this word in an article somewhere) chronic non-finisher. That sewing project I started back in December, yeah that never happened.  My goal to take more photography classes most certainly did not happen. Now, where my chronic non-finishing ways tend to appear the most is in reading.

I started the selection for Hawaii, Under the Blood Red Sun, when I got back from California in mid-April. For some reason, I just could not get through it. I am still only 40 pages into it and that took several tries.

This is not to say that the book is awful, in fact, it would be perfect in many aspects. If you are an elementary or middle school teacher, this would be a great historical fiction pairing during a World War II lesson.  This novel is inspirational and gives an accurate account of Japanese-American prejudices and trials in America after Pearl Harbor. The writing is done well and so far the characters are dynamic and realistic. It's just not my kind of read and therefore I am having problems with engagement. I have included a synopsis from Amazon.com below.

Tomi was born in Hawaii. His grandfather and parents were born in Japan, and came to America to escape poverty.

World War II seems far away from Tomi and his friends, who are too busy playing ball on their eighth-grade team, the Rats.

But then Pearl Harbor is attacked by the Japanese, and the United States declares war on Japan. Japanese men are rounded up, and Tomi’s father and grandfather are arrested. It’s a terrifying time to be Japanese in America. But one thing doesn’t change: the loyalty of Tomi’s buddies, the Rats.

I do not know why I could not finish this book, but at some point I have to move on to something else. My problem is patience. I would make a horrible Jedi, as I have no friggin patience.  This is definitely the issue right now as I know Divergent is coming up for the Illinois selection and I just want to get to it. Everyone has talked about how wonderful that book is and I just want to read it!

I know I should give this book more of my time, but I really need to move on. It’s just not keeping me engaged at the moment. Well that’s ok, the goal of this challenge was to continue my study and knowledge of YA literature. I cannot always be perfect, but there are 39 more books to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment