Monday, April 22, 2013

Preschool Story Time: Reading is Magic!


This past week was National Library Week so I decided to do a storytime on reading and books. It had some highs and lows. I think I am getting the hang of storytime, but I still have some kinks to work out. Just a note, we go back and forth on video or craft for storytime. For my next few weeks, I will probably be doing a video each time. The craft usually goes well, but I think the kids and parents want a video as it is less chaotic than gluesticks and paint. So here is how it went! 

Welcome/Motion: If you’re happy and you know it
You know…to get those wiggles out and introduce everyone. 

Book: “Dog Likes Books” by Louise Yates
The kids loved this one. This was great opportunity to talk about how books take us on adventures and into our imagination. I thought Dog was so adorable too. Definitely will do again. 

Song: “Five Little Monkeys Reading in the Bed”
Five little monkeys reading in the bed
One fell out and bumped their head
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said, 
"Turn out the lights, it's time to go to bed!" 

Book: “The Old Woman Who Wanted to Read” by John Finch
No one could pay attention to this one. And to be honest, I only chose this one because I thought the whole working-on-the-farm thing as distraction would interest the kids. The illustrations were cute and had lots of farm animals, but man the kids did not care! 

Motion: “This is the Way We…” (Tune: Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush)
This is the way we go to the library, go to the library, go to the library. This is the way we go to the library, all through the day. (Repeat with “read the books”, “turn the page”)

Book: “Lola at the Library” by Anna McQuinn
I love this one! This gave me the perfect opportunity to discuss our policies and talk  about the library. The kids liked this one and even took turns telling me what books they like to look for. It was successful! 

Song: Love, love, love your books (Tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat)
Love, love, love your books,
Read them everyday,
Keep them somewhere safe and clean,
Don’t let them run away. 

Closing: Video “Wild About Books”
The kids who were between the proper ages of storytime (3-5), were able to sit quietly and enjoy this video. Kids who were younger…no dice. This can sometimes be a problem as families enjoy bringing all their kids to storytime no matter their age, but the storytime really is only geared towards kids between 3 and 5 years old. So then I have little 2 year olds and sometimes infants, who cannot sit still for anything longer than 2 seconds creating havoc. Well it is leaving it as is OR enforcing some age rules. I’d rather leave as is so that families still feel welcome, but when it comes to personal space, the death stare is coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment