Friday, May 3, 2013

Preschool Storytime: It’s the Final Countdown!


I know two posts in one day, what’s going on here?! I had my storytime this week and I went with the theme of counting. Just to jump ahead, this was the most successful storytime I have ever had. Kids friggin love counting. If you are ever stuck with coming up with a theme, just do numbers. I was afraid the kids would get so sick if numbers by the end, but no problem at all. They were quiet and attentive as well as participatory in my songs. Here is the guide I used for my storytime!

Opening Motion: Inside the Space Shuttle (squat down to the ground)
                Just enough room (squeeze self closer)
                Here comes the countdown
                5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (hold up fingers and kids count with you) 
                …ZOOM (jump straight up)
This was a lot of fun to do. It was a great way to start off the counting storytime and everyone loved shooting up into the air.

Book: Ten in the Bed
This book was fun to read, especially if you know the song. The kids thought the different animal characters were a little strange. When the book says "The ballerina fell out of the bed" they all had confused looks. That being said, they were reading with me and were perfectly attentive.

Flannel board: 5 green and speckled frogs
Kids love counting. I will say it again; LOVE counting. The board was a lot of fun to use, so I am glad they enjoyed it. 

Book: One Duck Stuck
This book was rather long, but the kids enjoyed it. 

Song: This old man (1-5)
Easy Peezy, the kids did this one with me and had no problems learning the motions. I kept to just doing 1-5 as 1-10 is just too long for some of the kids.

Motion: 5 Little Monkeys Swinging in the Tree
The winner of the session was this song. The kids LOVED snatching the monkey out of the tree. They were clapping throughout the rest of storytime.

Book: Big Fat Hen
I love this book and I used it as a way to lead into actually singing 1,2 Buckle My Shoe. I told the children to guess what song we would be doing next. They got it right away. Perfectly done!

Song: 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe with actions
The book was a perfect lead in to this song.

Movie: Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 (6 mins.)
All I had to ask was, “Has anyone heard of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom?” and the kids watched the whole thing no problems. In fact they were mad when they went to our ABC-123 shelf and neither book was there. 

My next storytime is in two weeks and it will be a special one. I can't wait to tell you guys all about it! Be on the look out for my post on Audiobook Awesomeness in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment