Saturday, May 18, 2013

Preschool Storytime: Me and My Teddy Bear

This was a special storytime. I asked all the children and parents to remember to bring teddy bears or a favorite toy to share with during storytime. I used a bear puppet for my companion and I held it while reading and singing with the kids. They seemed to enjoy this. This was a lot of fun to do and I can’t wait to do it again! The children and parents had a great time singing and were happy to snuggle up while we watched a movie.

Opening: The more we get together
Just a nice opening. I felt everyone would enjoy a little song with their teddy bears.

Book: Teddy Bear’s Picnic by Jimmy Kennedy
I actually went through and memorized the words to this one. Then once everyone was settled, I sang it the entire time. It has been in my head for weeks as a result. The kids were respectful and let me sing through the entire book.

Fingerplay: A bear eats honey
A bear eats honey (pretend to eat)
He thinks it’s yummy
In his tummy (rub tummy)
But the bees don’t think it’s funny!
Buzzzzzzzzzzzz! (make buzzing noise)
This was fun to do. The kids loved buzzing around like bees and acting like they were eating honey. I am going to try this one with the baby class and see if they like it too.

Book: Bears on Chairs by Shirley Parenteau
I felt this one was rather long, but had a great moral lesson about sharing. Luckily, the kids were respectful and listened to the story. They enjoyed the big brown bear at the end getting allowed to sit on the chairs.

Song: Teddy Bear Teddy Bear
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, reach up high
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the sky
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, jump up now!
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, take a bow
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, find your nose
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, grab your toes
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch your knees
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, sit down please
This one was fun. I held my puppet bear and did all the moves and the kids joined in with their bears. It was also the perfect lead in to read the next story

Book: Best Bear by Emma Dodd.
I LOVE this book! I love Emma Dodd in general. The kids also liked this book and were very attentive.

Motion: If you're a bear and you know it
If you’re a panda and you know it clap your paws. If you're a panda and you know it clap your paws. If you're a panda and you know it and you really want to show it. If you're a panda and you know it clap your paws.
...If you’re a polar bear and you know it show your teeth, 
...If you’re a grizzly and you know it growl like this
The kids loved the growling. We made lots of noise, hopefully not disturbing other patrons outside the storytime room.

Movie: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (James Marshall version) 8 minutes
A great movie to show and have fun sharing with our bears. I watched with them and sat with my bear too.


No comments:

Post a Comment