Friday, March 15, 2013

What I've been working on and other musings

Good evening my peeps! So I know I have been quiet and haven't written much. I had a stomach virus this past week and it has left me feeling weak and very, very, very lazy. This means I have not been reading my books from the YA Challenge. I also have a book club meeting coming up in about a week and that reading is very different from the books in the challenge. We are reading Alif the Unseen which I have included a synopsis below:


In an unnamed Middle Eastern security state, a young Arab-Indian hacker shields his clients—dissidents, outlaws, Islamists, and other watched groups—from surveillance and tries to stay out of trouble. He goes by Alif—the first letter of the Arabic alphabet, and a convenient handle to hide behind. The aristocratic woman Alif loves has jilted him for a prince chosen by her parents, and his computer has just been breached by the State’s electronic security force, putting his clients and his own neck on the line. Then it turns out his lover’s new fiancĂ© is the head of State security, and his henchmen come after Alif, driving him underground. When Alif discovers The Thousand and One Days, the secret book of the jinn, which both he and the Hand suspect may unleash a new level of information technology, the stakes are raised and Alif must struggle for life or death, aided by forces seen and unseen.

I am only 30 pages into it and it is so far not bad, but of course 30 pages is nothing. This does mean that my reading challenge is on hold for just a week or so. Up next is Florida with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It seems pretty paranormal fantasy.

What I really wanted to do with this post was to share with you what I am up to at work and my Baby Fun Times! Unfortunately, I couldn't do my first Baby Fun Time this week as the stomach virus I had on Monday was pretty horrific and probably contagious, so....for the best really.

March's theme was "Colors" so we did a lot of basic board books with the infants and lots of nursery rhymes. I am hoping to do a Springtime theme for April, where one week I do a Rain themed Baby Fun Time. I saw a great book on a storytime blog title Rain Drop Plop by Wendy Lewison that I want to use. It is a counting and rhyme book that uses a rainy day as the scene.

Back to March, this is my plan for next Tuesday:

Welcome: The More We Get Together
Motion/Fingerplay: Open Shut Them
Bouncing Rhyme: Acka Backa Soda Cracker
Song: Mary Had a Little Lamb
Book: The Splendid Spotted Snake by Betty Schwartz and Alexander Wilensky
Flannel Board: Three Green and Speckled Frogs
Motion: Baby Hokey Pokey
Rhythm Shakers: Zip A Dee Doo Dah
Closing: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

I am excited for this, my actual first Baby Fun Time. Mainly, I am looking forward to the motion songs like Baby Hokey Pokey and Acka Backa Soda Cracker. I have observed other Baby Fun Times to prepare and it seems that the little ones LOVE the motion songs. I am hoping to keep them engrossed in the book and flannel board stories. I will keep you posted on my Preschool Storytime. I have one coming up where the theme is Pets and it's going to be epic! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment