Saturday, March 9, 2013

Delaware: The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher



Book review via Amazon.com. I'm Adrienne Haus, survivor of a mother-daughter book club. Most of us didn't want to join. My mother signed me up because I was stuck at home all summer, with my knee in a brace. CeeCee's parents forced her to join after cancelling her Paris trip because she bashed up their car. The members of "The Unbearable Book Club," CeeCee, Jill, Wallis, and I, were all going into eleventh grade A.P. English. But we weren't friends. We were literary prisoners, sweating, reading classics, and hanging out at the pool. If you want to find out how membership in a book club can end up with a person being dead, you can probably look us up under mother-daughter literary catastrophe. Or open this book and read my essay, which I'll turn in when I go back to school.

Oh man guys, it was my first full week at the new job and I am soooo wiped! I love it so much. It is kind of my dream to work with children and young adults. I have so many storytime and program ideas going through my head that I have several lists already on my computer. Library week in April is pretty much planned for my storytime and my Baby Fun Times for the whole month of March are planned and done. Sorry about this tangent!

Onward to Delaware for the YA reading challenge.  This book has an interesting concept, from someone who is in a book club (reminder to self to actually read the book for this month in between books). That said…uh…I don’t know what to think about this book. It seems to fall flat and the characters do not seem to really change or grow. Adrienne Haus, main protagonist, does not seem to change at all. She is just as crazy as a teenager, terrible with communication and lonely still as in the beginning. We don’t know if the girls at the end are even actual friends. It did not feel like so in the conclusion. Perhaps the girls have a better understanding of one another, but it definitely did not have The Breakfast Club ending I was hoping for.

Now is that bad? Not necessarily because not everything changes, I mean it worked for Seinfeld and Huckleberry Finn. It is probably my preference that characters grow or change. That’s how I get interested in stories. People don’t always change of course, even with the events that occurred.  I just felt that the characters were not real.  The characters seemed to be extremes in the stereotypical high school personas. CeeCee the popular girl was completely crazy and unruly, Jill as the overachiever, Wallis as the weird outsider, and Adrienne as the middle, blander persona. ALL were extreme. I wouldn’t say it was unrelatable, just didn’t feel…real.  I mean yes in my high school these personas existed, but not the degree that these girls.

This novel could be a good addition to a library’s young adult selection. It would be a good teen summer read or joke YA Book Club choice, but if you have budget woes, I wouldn’t. There are other summer books that did a better job at captivating the audience.

That’s eight down, 42 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment