Friday, March 1, 2013

Connecticut: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


Book review via Amazon.com. “One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself? 

So, a quick note. I started this blog thinking I would be unemployed for an indefinite amount of time. Welp my peeps, I am now working again in Children’s Services at my local library and am super psyched. I get to read to babies and promote library services for children! What this means is that this blog could potentially be more sporadic than I would have hoped, but I will still do my best.

Now we travel to Connecticut for my YA reading challenge.  If you read my post on Colorado, then you know about my feelings on romance. I like it as an element or plot point, but not the central focus. As luck would have it, “My Life Next Door” just so happens to be very much a romance. There are other situations involved, such as family relations, college prep, friendships, soul searching, and even politics, but the romance between Jase and Samantha is pivotal.

Though my feelings on romance novels are strong, I will say that this was a good read. It was definitely realistic with teens and sex which is appreciated. Some teen romance novels tend to suppress this and not like to talk about it. Looking at you Stephanie Meyer, the only time I actually felt bad for Bella Swan. This is probably because there is potential for backlash and heavy criticism from the public in regards to teens and sex. It was just nice to see an author address feelings teens have and the uneasiness that comes in talking about sexual feelings. Samantha and Jase’s awkward discussion about virginity and the next step felt like….hmm what word…oh yeah relatable. Samantha’s feelings towards Jase were written well and the growth she experiences is refreshing.

I think I appreciate this romance because it reminds me of another favorite YA Author, Sarah Dessen. She will be my feature when I get to my home state of North Cakalakka (North Carolina). Dessen writes characters that experience very similar situations. Now, many of Dessen’s characters deal with additional problems than teen love, but in a good portion of them, girl and boy getting together always happens.

I have to admit the past few books have been a little too much with the romance and googly eyes. Maybe the next few will change up a bit. That’s seven down, 43 more to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment