Sunday, August 18, 2013

Audiobook Awesomeness/Minnesota: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis via goodreads. For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.

Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

After almost 6 months of beginning this YA reading journey, I am starting to feel dissatisfied with these YA selections. It feels like I have read these books before. The YA genres of paranormal romance and dystopia are in overabundance to the point where it has become frustrating for me as a reader. It’s not Maggie Stiefvater’s fault or Lauren Oliver’s.  I have now read around 18 titles for this challenge plus numerous others and it is starting to bum me out how formulaic and (hate to say it) cliché they all are. Poor Shiver just came in at a time where I'm about fed up.

This book series is for all you Twilight fans out there. There were lots and LOTS of dreamy, whimsical romance scenes and of course werewolves. Again my eyes rolled throughout most of this book. It also did not help that I audiobooked this title. Listening to the narrators, who granted did a great job with expression, read and act this book made me giggle. Needless to say, I will not continue this series like so many prior books.

Ok this is starting to sound bad. There are some good, redeeming qualities that I did like about Shiver. For one, Sam and Grace’s feelings for each other felt realistic to everyday teens. This includes their sexual relationship. Sam’s hesitance in the bedroom was kind of adorable and it was nice to have a guy’s voice talk about this subject. Secondly, everything about the story was incredibly descriptive. I could imagine the location and smells and temperature of the setting quite vividly and I feel this is Stiefvater’s strongest writing quality.

With the audiobook, the toughest part is that the book itself switches narrators between Sam and Grace; therefore, the audiobook also switches narrators. The problem is that most of the book Sam and Grace are in each other’s company and with multiple narrators you also have different narration styles. To clarify, this means that Sam’s narrator not only did his own character’s voice, but also had to occasionally convey Grace’s voice. The female narrator did Sam’s voice differently than the male narrator and the male narrator’s attempt at Grace’s caused some snickers. I know it is difficult to match the two and besides this one tiny problem, they did an excellent job with expression and engagement. Remember peeps, I have a hard time getting past some details.

The bottom line is that as a YA librarian, I would buy this series for my collection. Paranormal romances are still popular and I have been asked about this series by several teens even before I read it. Maggie Stiefvater is becoming a prominent YA author and has many other popular titles out there. If I make it to the selection for Virginia, I will be reading her work once more in The Raven Boys.

Peeps, I may need a YA break here so I am going to get an adult audiobook for next time. That’s 18 down, 32 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment